What good is a high MP count...

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
jande9
Regular MemberPosts: 351
Like?
Re: What good is a high MP count...
In reply to jcollier, Feb 18, 2013

jcollier wrote:

I'm afraid that if you find it necessary to ask the question that you will not be enlightened by the answer.

-- hide signature --

jcollier

Perhaps if you had understood the question a little better you would not have replied so rudely.

Many people feel that the push for more megapixels is a marketing gimmick for most people.

I think that a good 6mp camera would satisfy almost all of the needs of an amateur photographer.  I have produced school graduation quality portraits cropped about 50% from a original Canon 300D file, and it looks fine as an 8X10.  I am very happy with 11X14 prints from my Pentax 100D even cropped by around 30%. I say this from the perspective of someone who used a Leica M3 and a Rollei35 for 35 years before going digital, so I have some idea about quality in a print.

Of course, more mp is theoretically better but in almost all real life situations it doesn't make that much difference for non-professional photographers, especially if you are just viewing pictures on a computer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow