Canon wide angle lens question (upgraded from a 40d to a 5DMark3)

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jordanzs
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Canon wide angle lens question (upgraded from a 40d to a 5DMark3)
Feb 18, 2013

Now that I've upgraded from a 40D to a 5dmark3, I need to update my wide angle lens. I've been using a 10-22.

I'm mainly looking at the 17-40f4 and the 16-35 f2.8.

Will mostly be used for landscape, sunsets, night photography (slow shutter speed on a tripod). Some people stuff here and there, using a flash.

I know that the 16-35 is a superior lens, goes to 2.8 and works better in low light without a flash, etc etc, and I've read all the reviews, but there is a pretty big cost difference and I could apply the savings elsewhere.

My main question (and I don't see this in any reviews) is has anyone switched from a crop sensor & 10-22 setup to a full frame and 17-40 setup? How do they compare? Seems like the 10-22 multiplied by the 1.6 crop would provide a similar field of view as a full framed 17-40? How does the sharpness compare, mainly at the wide end? I've seen some complaints about the 17-40 not being sharp at the edges, but I've also heard that about the 10-22, and that lens is fine for me.

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow