Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
steppenwolfer
Contributing MemberPosts: 787Gear list
Like?
Pany 20 1/7, Olympus 45/18 on E-PL3 vs Tamron 17-50 on Nikon D300s
Feb 18, 2013

So, for few years now I use Nikon system. Now I have nice lens selection, but size/weight was always sort of a problem. For few years now I had on and off phases with u4/3 cameras. Usually I purchased models that were phased out, so I always had previous generation of camera. That way I had E-P1. later Panasonic G2 and currently I own E-PL3. Now I also decided to invest little bit more in a system and purchased 2 lenses additionally to kit lens which I got with  body and 12-50 which I kept from Panasonic G2 episode. So I got myself Panasonic 20/1.7 and Olympus 45/1.8. Size of both lenses are great and together with body this is one small kit. But lately I started to consider also Nikon D3200, entry level Nikon body - it has 24MP and i have many lenses to mount on. Not to mention quiet small body. After some further thinking I decided to do little experiment and compare Tamron 17-50 (as one lens solution) on Nikon body with both primes on E-PL3. I am mostly interested in end results.

So, yesterday I took few photos of same scene. Unfortunately light was strange, but I could get some basic idea of how good or bad are these lenses on "their bodies" in comparison. I wanted to compare "real life" results, meaning I did not use shutter shock delay, timer or tripod, since in reality I almost never use tripod, delay etc. I also left IS ON, since I leave it at that setting all the time.

If anyone interested, here are photos:

Pany and Tamron wide open:

Pany and Tamron at f4:

Olympus and Tamron at longest settings:

After this "experiment" I imported RAWs in Lightroom and run auto levels on all photos. Nothing else, except export.

I must say that Panasonic 20/1.7 seems like a very very good lens and I like it from a start. Not so sure about 45/1.8. In this test, especially wide open it did not deliver as I hoped. On the other hand, Tamron delivered quiet nice results. Especially if I take into consideration fact that is is zoom lens and its price was also quiet low. But apart from Olympus 45 wide open softness, differences are quiet small.

Next task is to compare Nikon 35/1.8 + Nikon 50/1.4 vs Pany 20/1.7 + 45/1.8.

Comments and Ideas are welcome and highly appreciated.

steppenwolfer's gear list:steppenwolfer's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
Nikon D300S Nikon D3200 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow