Started Feb 18, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
davidevans1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,070
Like?
Nikon D5200 and Nikon 18-200mm VR II?
Feb 18, 2013

Advice please. My wife is an artist and has used a D90 for the past four years and at a guess has taken something like 30,000 shots, all using an 18-200mm Nikon lens. Initially the original version and then version two when it was released.

All shots are RAW and pretty well all are on Program mode. All are handheld, and subject matter is mainly landscapes, but primarily micro landscape rather than big vistas, so lots of textures, rock formations, patterns etc.  also some family portraits etc.

In post processing the images are regularly cropped, sometimes significantly. So there's sometimes a theoretical shortage of pixels when printing.

I was thinking it's getting to the stage for upgrading the camera, and the likely one is the D5200. What I don't know though, is how well the lens is likely to work with the higher pixel count. Can anyone advise please?

With the D90 the lens performs very well, though it gets soft at the longer end when shooting birds or similar subjects, and that's with a shutter speed faster than 1/200.

Any advice appreciated, but if it's a change of lens that's needed please keep in mind it has to be just one lens for everything.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

David

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5200 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow