Is Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII worth over Sigma 70-200mm OS for an amateur?

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Windancer
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,946Gear list
Like?
My Thoughts On This
In reply to Varuas, Feb 18, 2013

Varuas wrote:

Nikon VRII was around $2400, so Sigma 70-200mm OS at $1300 was a no brainer.

I have not read everything posted here so I may be reinterating something somebody already pointed out. I guess when it comes down to your money, you have to make the call. You and you alone know the "proper" answer. I personally shoot with a 70-200/2.8 VRI and I am very happy with it.

I always help out a friend and shoot water polo every year, he uses a Sigma 70 -200 with a Canon mount and his shots are very good, http://www.pbase.com/windancer/waterpolo and for what we use them for it is very hard to differentiate them from mine, other than the naming convention. Personally I refer to the note in my sigature for the answer 4" behind the viewfinder that does.""Remember, it's not the CPU that's in your camera or the lens that makes great images, it's the one located about 4" behind the viewfinder that does"

I'm sure the Nikkor would have much better resale value (if that's important to you). Personally I would save and get the Nikkor (but that's me and my lifestyle).

Just my thoughts......  Good luck in whatever choice you make.

Terry
Graham Fine Art Photography
http://www.pbase.com/windancer
Remember, it's not the CPU that's in your camera that makes great images, it's the one located about 4" behind the viewfinder that does.
Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended to impart a sense of humor. Given e-mail's inability to carry inflections, tone and facial expressions it may fail miserably in its intent. The sender acknowledges the limitations of the technology and assigns to the software in which this message was composed any ill feelings that may arise.

Windancer's gear list:Windancer's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow