Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,687Gear list
Like?
6D bird tracking and other pictures
Feb 18, 2013

So, I tried tracking some birds with 6D.

This bird was initially flying at my direction at a slight angle and then changed direction to fly towards my left. All pictures were sharp/in focus except #3

100% crop of #3 (right upper)

It seems that when bird was changing direction cameras lost its focus.

Rest of the pictures were like this one (100% crop of #6).

In another series 2 out of 3 was in focus. #2 was slightly out of focus. It seems that camera is able to regain focus after losing it momentarily. This is #3

In another series 5 out of 8 were in focus. Again camera got confused when bird changed direction suddenly.

Worst was 2 out of 4, #2 and #3 out of focus. The bird was almost over my head and was closer than other birds. I didn't notice it till late. Camera was still able to focus on it quickly, then lost focus on two consecutive shots. I think this was because of my panning error. In the last picture camera was able to regain focus. Here is the last one.

In a series of 3 when the bird was flying across the frame all were in focus. One example

Crop

So, in total out of 24 pictures 17 were in focus. 71% keeper.

I tried smaller oystercatcher too. 5 out of 9 were in focus. I thought this was impressive as these birds fly fast and changes direction often.

All in all I am very impressed with 6D's tracking capabilities. I think I was expecting much less. And I think this is not too far beyond my 5D3's tracking.

Now, something different.

Original

Shadow lifted (Exposure +1, shadow +100%)

You can click on the 'gallery page' to see large, but to give you an idea two 100% crops.

Before

After

It seems that banding is finally gone.

6D actually is too good. Its overall performance is much closer to 5D3 (not talking about video, I don't do video) than the price difference would suggest. And if you consider that 6D actually has slight advantage in high ISO and shadow lifting, the gap narrows even further. So, if you are still wondering if you should get this camera or not, think no more. Get it.

As all threads in this forum should have cat or dog picturesI am happy to put one.

-- hide signature --

--

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow