Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
Re: Lovely pictures
In reply to David Lal, Feb 18, 2013

David Lal wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

David Lal wrote:

Kris in CT wrote:

You never mentioned a budget. On the very low end, used D300 are very inexpensive and are still a great camera. I have a Tamron 200-500 that no one has mentioned yet. It is the lightest of the consumer 500mm. It can be pretty sharp in good light. It is also relatively inexpensive in the used market. I have learned to get quite a bit out of it, but it takes some work...

Good work Kris. I especially like the first one and the last two - your images make a compelling argument for your Tamron 200-500 (though the hawk/owl pictures are not in the same league).

So often people post bird pictures here and there is little or no fine feather detail. I would certainly second the D300 suggestion - absolutely dependable, accurate autofocus without the - err - idiosyncracies of some lesser cameras.

David

As I'm sure you know, the loss of fine feather detail is VERY often due to the distances involved with many of the shots. You simply cannot expect the resolution that you get in many of yours, when you're shooting something like 500mm and then STILL cropping for composition, as is often the case.

Yes indeed, getting physically close to the subjects is of paramount importance for a superlative image. Nobody said it's easy.

Lol, and what you preach.  Come shooting with me for a day.  We'll see how good your ninja skills are!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow