ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RustierOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,768Gear list
Like?
Procedure for External Hard Drives on Entering Sleep
Feb 18, 2013

Hi Mac Users,

I've just gotten a MacBook Pro 15-inch w/ Retina (2.3 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 16 GB) and am amazed at its superiority over the Windows experience. But there's a lot for me to learn. I have some questions about its use.

Some background: I have an external USB 2.0 1/2 GB hard drive that failed on my windows machine (corrupt FAT). I reformatted it for OS X and was using it for time machine backups. A couple of times I put the Mac to sleep without un-mounting the drive. When booting up again, there was a message warning about shutting down - drag the hard drive icon to trash. Well I forgot and made the same error. Now neither the Mac or the Windows machine will recognize the drive. So it's probably toast.

My questions:

• Is there some way to automate the shut down process when going into sleep mode to avoid external hard drive problems?
  • Is there some way to have OS at least warn me about the need to dis-mount the drive when I'm entering sleep mode?
  • What is the normal process with external drives when shutting down or entering sleep mode?
I appreciate any advice you can give.
-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Russ

RustierOne's gear list:RustierOne's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow