E-5 vs K-5 ii Locked

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,295Gear list
Either K5 or go the E-M5 / GH3 route
In reply to DaveP E1, Feb 18, 2013

DaveP E1 wrote:

Give me a compelling reason to stick with Oly. I have a once in a lifetime vacation coming up - Machu Picchu & Galapogos and will retire my trusty E-1 for something with IS and more reach. The E-5 will require all new lenses, 12-60 & 50-200 ~$3300. The Pentax K-5 ii on the other hand has a nice walk-around 18-135mm (x1.5) f3.8 kit lens lens with supposed better IQ, dynamic range, very high ISO ~$1500. With Oly possibly abandoning the semi-pro SLR market it seems like a no-brainer. Ruggedness/ weatherproofing/dependability is high on my list of attributes. Can the K-5 ii comapre with the build quaility of the E-1. For that matter, can even the E-5 compare?

As you don't already have a big lens investment you should get more 'bang for the buck' from the Pentax kit (assuming that the lens you mention is at least fairly close to the ZD 12-60 in quality, and weather-sealed).

As already mentioned you could look at the E-M5 as a light-weight alternative -- it is fairly comparable to the K5 through to around ISO 3200-6400.  Few lenses are weather-sealed, however, and the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 and 35-100 f/2.8 are the fastest (aperture) zooms available and are expensive.  The 12-50 that can be bought with the E-M5 as a 'kit lens' is really a not too bad all-rounder (I use one), but fairly slow at the long end and has considerable distortion at 12 mm -- it is sealed, however.  The 12-42 and 40-150 (latest versions) are very good value, but are not weather-sealed -- I sold mine because I use the E-5 and 50-200 SWD for the telephoto end and the E-M5 with 12-50 (or the 45 f/1.8) for wide.  They can be found new for around US$100 each so you may wish to risk them as they are almost 'disposable' -- I doubt there is much risk of water getting into the E-M5 even though these lenses do not have mount o-rings.  A cheap 'plastic bag' solution for significant rain could be purchased or quickly made to fit.

Oh, and pick up some cheap after-market lens hoods -- particularly if you want something to attach a 'rain hood' to.

Also consider the Panasonic GH3 alongside the E-M5, particularly if you want to shoot video.  (The E-PL5 would also be worth considering but it is not weather-sealed, and has no built-in VF.)

Regardless of what you get, be sure to test it out thoroughly and I would suggest that you have a 'pocketable super-zoom' as a back-up in case things go wrong.  You may also consider some way of backing up shots taken each day (or more frequently) as insurance against disaster or possible theft -- a way of transferring the photos / video taken to high-capacity USB sticks may be a good solution.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow