Is Canon's Digital Photo Professional really that terrible on the Mac? (I think yes)

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Matt Daddy
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Is Canon's Digital Photo Professional really that terrible on the Mac? (I think yes)
Feb 18, 2013

I just got my 6D with the 24-105mm lens a few days ago.  Very happy with the camera so far!  I've been using both DXO Optics Pro and Photoshop (CS6) for a while now, but I thought I would check out Digital Photo Professional just for the heck of it.

I tried installing it on my ~5 year old Mac Pro (which had been running OS 10.6.8).  On the installer CD (for Canon digital solutions v27.1), I would click on Install and the program would start to run and immediately abort with no error message or anything.

I did some web searching and found other people had the same problem.  My wife (my system admin spent a couple of hours messing around with the OS and somehow managed to get DPP to install and run.  What a crock, it shouldn't be that much work.

Since then she upgraded the Mac Pro to Mountain Lion.  DPP was still running, but now I tried editing a photo for the first time, and I realized I needed to add the data for the 2 lenses I have, so I selected them in the list and clicked "Start".  It seemed to download the files, then asked for my admin password, and then a box popped up saying "An error occurred."

I tried a web search and couldn't find anyone else with the same problem.  But I have to say, I'm thinking that the Canon EOS software stinks if you have a Mac, it just doesn't really work.  Has anyone else had similar problems (with or without a solution)?

(I realize maybe I should have posted this on the Mac forum, but it's specific to Canon's software so I posted it here.)

Canon EOS 6D Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow