Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,471Gear list
Like?
Pictures showing both Milch and RRS grips on DP-M camera
Feb 18, 2013

I finally got around to shooting a set showing the two L-Bracket grip options that exist now attached to the DP-1M & DP-2M (not that the camera variety matters since both cameras look identical).  One is from John Milch, the other from Really Right Stuff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kigiphoto/sets/72157632788984305/with/8483299317/

Milch did a really good job with sample images of his grip on camera, but RRS doesn't have any images of the product attached to anything so this may help some people evaluate.  Some points of interest:

* On the left side of the camera the L-Bracket is high enough you can't get a strap through the metal ring on camera without taking off the bracket.

* On the front and right side the RRS grip has a larger footprint - it's taller and also curves to the side.  It kind of "cups" the camera and so even taking the front grip off it still uses a little space on the bottom front.

* I like the front grip a little more on the Milch grip (I like it shorter), but the RRS shape is a little nicer for your palm.  Really a minor difference though, I don't mind using either.

* Both grips partly cover Sigma logo.

* On the bottom the RRS grip has a slot the whole length, the Milch grip has only a slot under the LCD of the camera (for a quick release mount to grip).

* Both grips work fine with a RRS quick-release mount.

* On both grips the front grip and L-Bracket could be removed if desired.

* On both grips there is another tripod mount thread embedded in the baseplate (the Milch grip has two sizes).

Milch grip

RRS grip

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow