Show us your Pet Shots

Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
eagle_I
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670
Like?
Re: Show us your Pet Shots
In reply to Ann Chaikin, Feb 18, 2013

Ann Chaikin wrote:

Wow. That is amazing. Did it take you a long time to get them to sit on your hand? We once went to a bird sanctuary in Jamaica where two kinds of hummers would sit on your hand and drink. It was an amazing experience.

No not long ... but I had a trick.  By removing 3 of the 4 "flowers" on the feeder (and plugging holes) it only gave them one choice ... the one with the fat finger in front of it.

Since I'm often out on the deck where the feeders hang the hummers get used to me.  One of my favorite shooting spots for the view of the lake below is right between the two I have hanging.  Many birds use my head as an obstacle or a race pylon as they chase each other around.  I usually stand only a couple feet from the feeder to observe them.  As long as I stay still it only takes a minute or two for them to swoop in like I wasn't even there.  Occasionally one gets curious and will come up to hover at eye level only a foot from my nose.

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LadyNew
JackNew
zackNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow