E-5 vs K-5 ii Locked

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,850Gear list
Re: E-5 vs K-5 ii
In reply to DaveP E1, Feb 18, 2013

When I went to the Galapagos I had my E-1, 11-22mm, and 50-200mm. It was nearly the prefect combination. You need a good wide angle and good telephoto. The 18-135mm Pentax is a great all round lens, but I don't think it's wide or long enough for the best of the Galapagos.

Here is one of my favorites with the 50-200mm:

Courting Friggit birds

If I were in your boots right now I would get one of the following:

Olympus OM-D and 12-50mm kit. Add the Panasonic 100-300mm. That would be about $1800. Maybe add the 9-18mm for another $600. That would be only after trying it out at a camera store to see if it feels like a fit for me. I personally find the EVF to have some advantages at times. Other times I prefer the OVF. The size of the kit would ease traveling weight imo.

Pentax K30 then I'd max out my budget on lenses. Maybe Pentax 18-135mm, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, and Sigma 10-20mm. That would be about $2600 I guess. You lose weather sealing on the Sigmas. If you have the cash, the Pentax 12-24mm, 18-135mm, and 60-250mm, but that would run about $4000. Moving up to the K5ii would be great, but imo the K30 is one of the best values going and very capable if you don't need a vertical grip. Still has weather seals, 100% viewfinder, fast AF, high ISO and great DR.

E-5 + 11-22mm + 50-200mm SWD. I'd buy used for about $2500. That lens combo is hard to beat imo. The E-5 will spank the E-1 in so many ways and having an E-1 backup body when traveling would be great. Personally, I'd get the OM-D over this kit even though the lenses are better. I'm ready to expand my camera bag into mirrorless territory because I believe it's the future. I love my Zuiko lenses, but the E-5 will have hit very low used prices (like $600) for me to upgrade from my E-3 because DSLRs are not progressing and mirrorless is taking the field by storm. IMO, the best compromise is a new mirrorless camera and a good used DSLR because the new ones just aren't that much better than the old ones except for slight improvements to the sensor.

Then I'd buy a Olympus TG-1 or TG-2 if it's out. This would be my backup and snorkeling camera. Btw, the snorkeling in Galapagos is fantastic. Get a waterproof camera or video camera to take along. A good snorkel, mask, and flippers are mandatory imo.

Finally, you're lucky to be traveling to the "life list" destinations. Drink it in and have a great time.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow