OM-D EM-5 as an every day, all around camera?

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JoeMoMo
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
OM-D EM-5 as an every day, all around camera?
Feb 17, 2013

I'm hoping to get some thoughts from those that have been using the OM-D as a primary camera or replacement for a DSLR. I have a Canon S95 P&S that does a terrific job indoors in low light but could definitely use something with more versatility and better performance beyond that which my P&S can offer. In fact, in preparation for my next camera purchase, I just sold my K-7, mainly because I wasn't impressed with its low light, high ISO performance when compared to my P&S. I'm thinking that I will either upgrade to the K-5II or the OM-D as the subject states. I really need the weather resistant body/lenses and figure that once I have the better sensor from either of these two cameras, then I can start investigating fast zooms and primes. I'm just getting into the hobby side of photography and haven't found a niche just yet so my interests are wide open. I really enjoy landscapes and nature but also see myself getting into street photography, night and cityscapes, as well as star trails and astro. I would truly appreciate some thoughts from this forum since I see that many here have made the switch. I know one limitation, or perceived limitation, is the OM-Ds performance in the area of sports photography. I imagine that my two girls (1 and 4) will eventually play sports and have dance recitals, etc. so I really don't want to limit myself with any choice.

As it stands, I love the idea of the OM-D for size, etc. but I'm still leaning heavily toward the K-5II because I can't get it out of my head that long term it may be the better choice. I know I'm over thinking this, so any practical advice or use case information would be very helpful.

And yes, I did post a similar question in the Beginner's Forum but figured this might be the place to hear from actual 4/3s users.

Thanks!!

JoeMoMo's gear list:JoeMoMo's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot S95 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow