Moving from E-PL1 to? .. Pairing the GX1 w/Oly lenses? .. a bad idea for a me?

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Questions thread
Mingjai
Senior MemberPosts: 1,231Gear list
Like?
Re: Moving from E-PL1 to? .. Pairing the GX1 w/Oly lenses? .. a bad idea for a me?
In reply to Iasso, Feb 17, 2013

Iasso wrote:

that since Oly has IS in the body, and Pan has IS in it's lenses.. will the total loss of IS by pairing a GX1 body with an Oly lens be catastrophic for someone who shoots with the best stabilization a single hand could offer?

My original compact body was a E-PL2, but after less than a year using it, I sold it and bought a GX1. For me, I found the GX1 much better in terms of better grip, quick response, and of course image quality.

By the time I got the E-PL2, I was a long-time GH1 owner (and G1 before it), so I had a blend of Panasonic and Olympus lenses--all my slower zooms were OIS Panasonics, while the fast primes were fine without IS. The thing is, I never used IBIS on my E-PL2 because I got sharper images with it off, even at speeds when it theoretically should have helped--i.e., 1/50 or slower. IBIS Lite on the E-PL and E-PM series inferior to IBIS on the E-P series, which of course is inferior to the IBIS on the E-M series.

My bottom line would be this: If you're shooting with fast or wide angle lenses, you won't miss much if anything. Slow normal and telephoto zooms are a different story--I would sell any normal and telephoto zooms for their OIS Panasonic equivalents (of which there are plenty to choose from at each price point).

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow