E-5 vs K-5 ii Locked

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 753Gear list
Re: E-5 vs K-5 ii
In reply to DaveP E1, Feb 17, 2013

DaveP E1 wrote:

Give me a compelling reason to stick with Oly. I have a once in a lifetime vacation coming up - Machu Picchu & Galapogos and will retire my trusty E-1 for something with IS and more reach. The E-5 will require all new lenses, 12-60 & 50-200 ~$3300. The Pentax K-5 ii on the other hand has a nice walk-around 18-135mm (x1.5) f3.8 kit lens lens with supposed better IQ, dynamic range, very high ISO ~$1500. With Oly possibly abandoning the semi-pro SLR market it seems like a no-brainer. Ruggedness/ weatherproofing/dependability is high on my list of attributes. Can the K-5 ii comapre with the build quaility of the E-1. For that matter, can even the E-5 compare?
--
Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

To be honest, OMD all the way A simple 3 prime kit with the 17, 25 and 45 goes a long way, combined with the 40-150 which is going for $99 at the moment you would have a very versatile kit, with sharp fast primes at the wide end and a solid, small zoom for the long end.

Or, pick up a 12-60 and 50-200 used, they are going for nothing at the moment, you could probably get them both for about $1200... plus a used E-5 for around $1200... The E-5 will be a very nice jump on your current camera.

But I would go the OMD, especially for travel, it will be a revelation. Without the grip it is small, flexible and powerful... The lenses are great and if needed you can pop your existing lenses on it for a bit more flexibility, say for landscapes etc.

Here are a few with the OMD:

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow