D3200 : Crippled Manual mode & Live view

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,456
Like?
Re: I am just enlightening issues
In reply to Deleted-pending, Feb 17, 2013

The only real limitation you point out is the aperture control, I see no reason why live view can't change the aperture while the shutter is open, unless there is some stupid mechanical reason why the aperture control tab cannot be moved while the mirror is up/shutter is open, I do not at all understand why they can't do this, even the $2000 D600 does not have this feature.

edit: note that non G lenses with an aperture ring can easily just change aperture on the lens, so an in-body motor like the one on the D7000 becomes the mitigating factor if you want to retain AF and gain aperture control

The rest of your complaints seem more along the lines of a truly awkward implementation rather than a limitation, you can do what you want, just that you have to menu dive or the use case implemented does not match your workflow. I agree that Nikon Live view is poorly done at best, I really can't think of any use of it.

Other deliberate gimping is bracketing and lack of shutter priority release, those are also purely firmware features IMO, a CLS commander would be nice but I can see why that is a real cost adder as you would need the IR transmitter.

I would give up that completely retarded "Guide" mode setting for any one other firmware feature that they deliberately gimped.

I am actually a bit frustrated at this deliberate up sell marketing, i get paying more for a better AF system, or a better viewfinder, or stronger body, and other physical traits, however I think Nikon realized that since IQ is so close these days they have to control the market segment placements of each camera via artificial firmware limits.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow