Point me to a bridge, 4/3 or dslr

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
seminolewind
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?
Re: Point me to a bridge, 4/3 or dslr
In reply to Grimm, Feb 17, 2013

Grimm wrote:

OK, so I have a Panosonic FZ7 I've been using for 6 years now, and I'm thinking of getting something better, but I'm not sure which direction to head. I love the Panny and the quality of the outdoor shots, but I'm really wanting something better for indoor pictures. I know enough about picture taking to be dangerous, as they say, but would definitely call myself a newbie yet so I need help making the best choice.

My spectrum of photography will be pretty broad: landscape, car shows, kids (inside and out), zoos, museums, etc. My main goal is to get better performance from low light situations (museums and kids indoors). Most will probably be still shots, but we do have a 1 yr old girl, and two active young boys, so there will be some action. As I said, I'm happy with the quality of the Panny when sufficient light is available, and there are no special features I'm after; I just want better low light performance.

I've been pondering the idea of a dslr knowing how superior they are, but I can't say that I'll commit the time to learning and using it to it's full potential; so I don't know that it's worth the higher $ investment. In my initial research, it appears I may be perfectly happy with the current generation of bridge cameras; and the 4/3 cameras also sound like they may be a good way to go also. I don't have a budget per se, but I'd like to be under $500.

So what suggestions do the experts here have?

I have an FZ7 and you will be hard pressed to find another camera that beats the clarity of those pics!

The only one I found was the Olympus PL1.  I got the kit used for $269, like new, on Ebay.  The kit, brand new on Amazon is under $500.  I spent months comparing cameras on the studio tool that this site provides.  I'm finding low light pretty good, but have not tried really really low light.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow