Pros and Cons of the SX50

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Michael Kaplan
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,059Gear list
Like?
Re: Pros and Cons of the SX50
In reply to lkk324, Feb 17, 2013

Hi

I'll give you my perspective on the SX50. I started digital with a Fuji S602, a similar style camera to the SX50 back in 2002 and then went through 10D 20D 40D 50D and 7D to get to where I am now, a Nikon D800. I bought a Samsung WB600 a couple of years ago so I could have a long zoom pocket camera to carry with me as there is no way I can take my DSLR kit with me all the time. The camera is ok but have never really been happy with it. I started looking again and was tempted to go with the G15 as I prefer a good quality picture but know I would really miss that zoom so I started looking at the SX50. I did the normal looking at reviews which were pretty good but still wasn't sure until I started looking at all the consumer reviews and samples here from the actual camera users (really the best reviews). That is what sold me on this camera.

I think the picture quality is better than the commercial reviews show it. Most reviews for example right away mention you need a tripod at 1200mm, none really saying how good the stabilization really is that although certainly it is better to use a tripod, the camera takes quite a good photo handheld. It can do a lot and has RAW which was one of the most important prerequisites to anything I was going to buy. Smaller, lighter and a lot easier to take pictures with because I am taking it with me more than I do my DSLR.

Would I sell my D800 and lenses? No way, there really is no comparison but it is a welcome addition to my kit. I am still looking to one day replace my Samsung with a better quality pocket-able camera but now maybe for that, the zoom won't be as important as it was. It is still not as easy to carry as I have to carry a camera bag for it. I bought a small one that the camera just fits into with room for my extra batteries and one or 2 small items. It allows me to put it on my belt or comes with an over the shoulder strap so it is great if I want to go out walking around to find something to shoot but still too big as a carry every day with you just in case you find something you want to shoot camera.

The fact that you come from a DSLR you will feel comfortable with this out of the box. Only thing is you need to read the manual to be able to have some idea on some of the features available on this camera. It is so packed with features it can be daunting at times.

I am happy with it and I have really just been playing around a bit to get used to it. I don't shoot much in the winter but will be ready for the spring as I start to get out more shooting. What I am doing is starting to shoot indoor portraiture again and plan on experimenting with the SX50. I bought the cable needed so my Pocket Wizards can trigger the camera and flashes so I will get to play around a bit with it as a studio camera but of course will be using the D800 as my main camera.

Just BTW I purchased some accessories for this so I have some of the same capabilities as with my DSLR. Like the adapter that allows me to put filters on the camera (and a 67mm cap so I can leave it on with the adapter because the original cam is for 58mm) and I bought step up rings so I can use my 77mm filters on this camera, a cable for my Pocket Wizards to work, extra batteries, needed if you shoot a lot as the rating is only a bit over 300 photos and if you can shoot over 1000 in a day you need more battery power. It really is a fine camera for what it is.

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy.

-- hide signature --

Michael Kaplan
http://www.pbase.com/mkaplan
See my profile for equipment list

Michael Kaplan's gear list:Michael Kaplan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Samsung HZ30W Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow