Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
UKphotographers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,972
Like?
Cheetah CL-180 , Quantum clone
In reply to elv, Feb 17, 2013

elv wrote:

Denton Taylor wrote:

Obviously a qflash clone and saying 'US-based' is fine but this is made in China.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/dentontay

They have taken more of the styling from Q-flash than I would have liked,

This was not aimed as a Q-flash clone but more as a revival of the simple manual Sunpak 120J that many people like myself and even Zack Arias have been campaigning for for years. I think there is a great opportunity for dedicated off camera speedlightes, super light compact and powerful. I think this is just the start of good things to evolve from here.

The Sunpak 120J was a flash with batteries in the head keeping it self contained. The Godox and Cheetah are nothing like that. Least of all when you compare them to the later 120J's - they included TTL options for Nikon and Canon as well.

The Godox and Cheetah are in fact clones of the Quantum's but offer less. It's no mistake that they look like a Quantum, just like Jinbei made their flash look like a Quantum - which you class as a 'clone'. Making them look the same is just part of the marketing plan which will ultimately shift income and jobs from the USA to China.

-- hide signature --

Ian.
http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk
Theres only one sun. Why do I need more than one light to get a natural result?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow