Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?
In reply to gdourado, Feb 17, 2013

Yup, because it was cheap. And no, it's not "big", nor "lenses"; it's a small body with just one 55-200 tele zoom or, if I'm shooting in lower light levels or simply feel like shooting with a prime, a small and light 50/1.7.

Could I use a mirrorless camera? sure. I could probably use a nice bridge camera like the FZ200 and not lose too much, either. But why would I? my SLR works fine for my uses, and it was cheaper than any other option(*).

(*) Do be careful when bringing US-born expectations to discussions of pricing in other countries---here thanks to Sony's aggressive pricing and the local Olympus dealer's... absolute lack of it, an Oly E-PL1 (yep, not a typo) costs only a few bucks less than a still-in-production Sony A37. The Panasonic dealer is even worse, so an outdated, el-cheapo Sony model like the one I'm using remains the cheapest and best alternative for ILCs in this li'l country of mine.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow