Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Emil Varadi
Contributing MemberPosts: 986Gear list
Like?
Re: Correction of lens distortion
In reply to Kaj E, Feb 17, 2013

Kaj E wrote:

...distortions.

I think you will find that even with the D800E minor lens distortion is not an issue even for architectural purposes. There is software available that perfectly fixes barrel, pincushion, moustache and pincushion distortion. PTLens is excellent for this purpose and does not break any-body's bank.

Capture NX2 does a good job of fixing distortions on Nikon lenses (although not as perfect as PTLens) in addition it fixes CA on Nikon lenses very well. Capture NX2 identifies the lens from EXIF and automatically makes the corrections once you tell the software to do so. Nikon has actually announced that in the digital age it does not strive for perfect lenses in itself, but lenses that are perfect combined with software.

There are naturally many other software applications that do the job of fixing distortions and CA. The above mentioned are just the ones I use.

True. I use NX2, which doesn't really do much, and also DXO which openly brags about its correction capabilities. Have not used PTLens though.

I would not care much about Nikon's software-related bla-bla, since the company itself does not care much about its own NX2 software, not to say that it is incapable to reach an agreement with nik about using nik's great Color Efex filters embedded in NX2 (especially 64 bit). I'm really mad about this on Nikon. It's neglecting its costumers who have spent fortunes on its products.

Yes, I can correct geomectric distortions (to an extent) in softwares, but as much as i like PP, to the same degree I hate fiddling around with distortions.

Emil Varadi's gear list:Emil Varadi's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow