Started Feb 17, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,180Gear list
Like?
Would you pay extra for ultimate QC?
Feb 17, 2013

An interesting thought came up in the "What has happened to Nikon?" thread, a question was asked by a poster, "Would you pay more for a higher level of QC?". It was suggested that the Canon 5D MKIII is $500 more than the D800 at release, so may be the D800 should be at that price point or closer to it in order to have a higher level of QC?

The question remains, at what price level and at what % would that take the QC level to, ie if we now have, say 5% QC issues with things like left AF on the D800 and oil spots on the D600, what would be an acceptable QC rate? Is it 99.99%, or 1 in 10,000, for a $200 premium? Or, would it cost Nikon more like $300 to get to that 99.99% success rate?

The point is, if you are one of the ones with a camera that has the issue, then you are probably going to say yes to even $300. However, if you do not have the issue then you are probably going to be reluctant to agree to pay more just for the privilege. The point is, there will always be a level at which there are cameras with an issue or issues, we just need to know what that level of acceptance is.Ffor the person who is 1 in 10,000, then even that is not a high enough % of QC acceptance.

I came to Nikon from Pentax for the Nikon pro gear as Pentax (as good as it is) does not offer a pro gear line with the added benefits of superior: build quality, accuracy, speed, features etc and very importantly the supposed higher QC that this should have and this has been basically true. My D700 did have oils spots and dust issues over the 2 year/14,000 actuation use and my first D800 had the left AF issue only with my 85mm f1.4G and only at aprtures under f2.8 and only at distances over 4-5mts. It was basically fixed by Nikon. However, my new D800E is perfect, not an issue with anything, even my lenses have not required any AF fine tune that I can see yet so, restoring my faith in pro Nikon gear and their QC.

In reality, Nikon is way ahead in the QC and pro gear stakes and I couldn't be happier, the gear works and works like it should, actually better than I had ever hoped for. To be perfectly honest, I am happy as a pig in the proverbial!

So, if it was going to cost you say $300 to ensure that you were one of the 9,999 that had a trouble free camera, would you be happy to pay that? I guess it comes down to peace of mind when you walk in to purchase a Nikon pro camera. Even though I have been lucky enough to have little issue, I guess I would be happy enough to pay for a QC premium of $300 and real peace of mind. The trouble is, it's like anything, and just like a government who take taxes for a particular policy implementation, this gets thrown into consolidated revenue and after a few years that "premium" is lost in "consolidated revenue" and things revert back to normal as the reason for it's introduction is forgotton about.

This is all academic unless Nikon actually read this stuff and takes heed of our wishes. However, in reality, Nikon are selling a D800 for $3,000 and it should work as advertised, which is exactly right, but they have also been discounting this price lately, so effectively may be they are admitting guilt, in a round about way, and offering a cheaper price as compensation? Effectively, this is sort of like saying it is $2,700 and we will ramp it back up to $3,000 when we get QC back to what is expected?

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow