Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Snapshott
Senior MemberPosts: 1,838Gear list
Like?
External hard drive accidentally erased -help needed
Feb 16, 2013

To start with I'm using a Macbook pro with 1 500GB hard drive I use as my time machine backup and 1 1TB hard drive as a secondary backup for my photo and other files (both drives are WD My Books with 400 firewire). This set up would ensure I have two copies of all my photos since my time machine HD has not started to overwrite any older files.

So I recently updated from Leopard to Snow Leopard to start to catch up my operating system. When I did this Time machine stopped working because it apparently didn't recognize my macbook pro because it would start a new file folder on my 500GB time machine drive. Then it wouldn't backup because there was not enough space left on the drive for a complete backup of my MBP hard drive. I think it said it needed 200GB and I only had 195GB free.

I decided that I would just start over and erase the 500GB time machine drive and start new since there weren't any files I needed, besides I have most files backed up on my 1TB drive. Well I made the mistake of erasing the 1TB hard drive and time machine started a time machine backup on that drive. I did catch it pretty quick as says I have 999.86GB of 999.72GB available.

I'd like to recover and restore the files for the 1TB hard drive. I started to look on line but am skeptical just to pick up the 1st free recovery software out there so I'm asking what software and process would you suggest I go with?

Thanks for any help you can give.

-- hide signature --

Snapshott

Snapshott's gear list:Snapshott's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +13 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow