From the Olympus Website--A little better translation than DPReview

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?
Re: Harsh News
In reply to CollBaxter, Feb 16, 2013

Colin--I think we can agree to disagree on this one.  The term reorganization to me means retrenchment.  The talk about the new DSLR may have been sincere, but I suspect with the restatement of earning, everyone was told to go back and get a new plan. I have no trouble seeing a bunch of managers in a room arguing over how to reorganize and what it means.

I understand your argument about the synergies between imaging and medical. The trouble we see with Olympus right now is that there is no longer a healthy symbiotic relationship between the two divisions.  Indeed the losses in imaging will crowd out investment in medical.  In other words, it is now an unhealthy parasitic relationship.  The parasite is sucking the host dry.

Olympus has to restore this relationship or find another business model.  The assumption that Olympus has to make cameras in order to pioneer imaging technology appears to be a basis for one of your arguments.  That is not necessarily the case.  One alternative is to continue R&D and license the intellectual property to other camera makers.This can stem to flow of red ink from imaging and allow medical to carry the load.

With this model, a DSLR, OMD and Point and Shoot with the Olympus brand are simply not necessary.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DSLRNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow