D800E lens strategy - will this work?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Emil Varadi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
Re: D800E lens strategy - will this work?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Feb 16, 2013

Daniel Lauring wrote:

The D800E, in DX mode, actually has considerably lower high ISO performance, than the D600, for example. One reason the D800E scores as high as it does, with it's smaller pixels, is because there is so many of them to average. By going to DX mode you are going to not only throw away resolution, but you will also lose the high ISO performance and DOF advantages of the FF D800E. You will be half way down that mountain...with a dozen cameras climbing above you.

Daniel,

yes and no.

Yes, the DX zooms will not yield top IQ, but will allow me to roam the streets and shoot urban photos. These images are nayway not about top IQ, but about motion, about telling a story.

No, because for IQ critical work I want to put top primes on that D800E that are better i some aspects than even the trinity zooms. For example, since 30% of all my images are at 24 mm, I'd invest into a 24/f1.4, which at 24mm is certainly better than the 14-24 or the 24-70.

Emil Varadi's gear list:Emil Varadi's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow