*********Challenge 162- The Moon in the Landscape ***********

Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bob in Baltimore
Regular MemberPosts: 438Gear list
Like?
EXAMPLES *********Challenge 162- The Moon in the Landscape ***********
In reply to Bob in Baltimore, Feb 16, 2013

The Full Moon rising behind the Makapuu Lighthouse, some 400 feet above sea level in Waimanalo, HI. The shot was taken from the grounds of the Sea Life Park, about a mile away. Planning for this and most other shots made use of TPE, The Photographer’s Ephemeris. (Precise location, to within 5 meters and timing to the fraction of a minute was required.) Tone mapping  (not HDR) using Nik HDR Efex Pro 2 with Photoshop CS6. (All but one of the samples were taken with a D7000.)

Moonrise behind the Mokulua Islands from the Kalama Beach Club in Kailua, HI. Lanikai Point is seen to the right. The islands are about 3 miles from the photographer. Manual HDR using a composite of two images 2 seconds apart using Photoshop CS6. (Standard, semi-automated HDR techniques failed.)

Moon above the Mokulua Islands from Lanikai Ridge at about 200’ elevation. Lights from the Island of Molokai (about 35 miles away) are seen to the right. Manual HDR using a composite of two images about 6 seconds apart using Photoshop CS6. (Standard, semi-automated HDR techniques failed.)

Moonglint and Mokulua Nui from Lanikai Ridge at about 200’ elevation. Single image. Note the couple enjoying the view in the lower right. I wish I could say that I planned that, but it was simply good fortune! (This image pushes the limits on what I mean by the “Moon in the landscape”, but shows an example of how far the limits can be stretched!)

Moonrise over the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. Manual HDR using a composite of two images about 4 minutes apart using Photoshop CS6. (Standard, semi-automated HDR techniques failed.) This pushes the limits on compositing into a single frame. (Also, I think I overhyped the Moon’s contrast!)

Moon behind the statue of “Freedom” atop the US Capitol. Single image pushing the dynamic range of the D7000 and ADL to the max in Nikon Capture NX2 and PS CS6.

Total lunar eclipse of Dec 21, 2010. Taken from my backyard with my D90 at ISO 1600, 1 second and f/5.6. I used my daughter’s Nikon 70-300 mm VR at 270 mm. Context is established by the presence of the star background, constituting a “landscape”.

Good luck and happy pixel pushing to all!

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow