Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob in Baltimore
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
*********Challenge 162- The Moon in the Landscape ***********
Feb 16, 2013

Thanx to Gregg (illy) for running the evocative challenge on the “Golden Age of Aviation”. I am stepping in to run the next challenge after the abdication of Tbolt47.

This challenge is to capture the Moon in the landscape, with “landscape” being interpreted rather loosely. I am looking for images that accurately show the Moon in context. This is the image of the Moon that evokes awe and wonder, or perhaps dreams of lost love, or the good old days.

It is NOT the antiseptic view of the Moon, no matter how well done, in isolation. I want to see context, whether it is a silhouetted palm tree, a pyramid, a star field, or an offshore island.

Such shots are technically challenging; the Moon is bathed in full sunlight while the landscape is usually darkened. Extensive post processing is permitted. Indeed, it is hard for me to image how to do it without PP. But the scene must have a realistic feel to it. No composite images that produce scenes that the human eye could never see. HDR components should be taken within minutes of one another.

The contest is not restricted to Nikon cameras … any camera may be used. There is no limitation on when the image was captured.

Please tell us where the image was taken, and a few details on your capture technique and the PP if you care to. (I hope to stimulate some discussion of how to create such images.)

The contest will close at on Monday March 4, 2013 at the exact time the Moon reaches third quarter. ;=) That would be March 4 at 2153 UT (Monday at 4:53 PM in my Baltimore)

VERY IMPORTANT! Please reply to the FIRST (ORIGINAL) post and please RENAME THE SUBJECT TO INDICATE THE TITLE OF YOUR PHOTO ENTRY.

Post ONE image (if you post more than one image to keep the theme alive, clearly indicate which will be your entry in the challenge).

The host chooses a winner after closing. The decision of the judge (the host) is final. The judge is not eligible. The winner then chooses the next topic, runs the challenge, judges the winner and passes on the baton to that person. If the winner fails to post a new challenge within 72 hours of being declared the winner then the runner-up should post the new challenge within a further 24 hours.

Feel free to comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some constructive criticism, put (CC) next to the title of your image.

EXAMPLES

Please embed your image in the thread. Try to resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (800 to 1200 pixels on the longest side is best.)

I will provide a few examples in the next post.

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow