David V
Contributing MemberPosts: 979Gear list
Like?
Re: Return policy works fine for Amazom
In reply to JoeRadza, Feb 16, 2013

JoeRadza wrote:

David V wrote:

misterpepper wrote:

If Amazon sells you the X100s for $1300 and ships it to you for free, you try it out without any real intention of buying and, after a couple of weeks ship it back to them on their dime, leaving them with a camera that after the expense of inspecting, cleaning and restocking is only worth around $1000 as a used camera, how is that any different to them than you having just stolen $400+ cash?

This is a ridiculously self righteous load of crap! If Amazon's policy allows for you to buy with confidence, sight unseen, in order to try a product, then they are willing to deal with the logistics and costs associated with that transaction for the greater good of increased overall revenue. No one is stealing cash!

Believe me, companies like Amazon conduct deep analytics on these types of policies and their affect on overall revenue/profit, and if they were not making more, or even losing money due to this policy, it would not exist. Period.

Policies like these create brand loyalty for shoppers. I buy things from Amazon from time to time that I want to try and have no intention of keeping. At times, I get the item and it far surpasses my expectation and I do end up keeping it. In addition, because of their great prices, free two day shipping (I am a Prime member) and their great return policy, they are the first place I check when I am going to buy anything online. That is brand loyalty and they get over ten thousand dollars a year in business from me every year!

You are correct in Amazon analyzing costs etc. But, the next time you want to "try" out a product, don't you think it would be the more ethical approach to rent before buying? Not saying what you're doing is unethical, but until I read a secret Amazon memo saying this is a company policy, you are indeed raising prices. That said, it's hard to figure how widespread the practice of "trying" is.

As a loyal customer who spends a lot of money annually with Amazon, I view my trying products with them as part of the deal in my relationship with them as a high value retail customer.  That's how they look at it when they do the analytics.  It's called building a meaningful brand connection with your customer.

If I spent $15,000 with Amazon every year they probably realize at least $5000 in profit from that revenue.  If I return a $1200 camera once a year and they lose $200 due to have to sell it as an open box, they are not going to worry about it, and neither am I.

I am not raising prices and that is proven by the fact that their prices are are the same or cheaper than any other discount retailer who don't have the same liberal return policies.  Until you can provide a memo that outlines the fact that they raise prices as a result of their inordinate number of returns I believe the burden of proof is on you considering that they charge what everyone else is charging or less.

I'm sure that those with a self righteous POV will disagree with my thought process here, and that's fine, but I am looking at this purely from a business perspective and not emotionally.  If this was a real business issue with Amazon, believe me, they would not have this policy.

David V's gear list:David V's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow