RX1 - accessories review

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
becasabot
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
Re: RX1 - accessories review
In reply to Matt Random, Feb 16, 2013

Matt Random wrote:

I've been looking at this since the Kickstarter funding stage. The fact that you can clip it around a belt instead of having to thread the belt through it is very appealing. However, I don't like the rigid way in which it holds the camera at a right angle to the clip.

The BW system uses a ball which allows the camera to find a natural position hugging your hip. It also allows the camera to more easily take unintentional bumps. The disadvantage is that there is a ball sticking out from the bottom of the camera that prevents sitting it flat on a table. This isn't much of a problem with a DSLR that has a nice big baseplate that can provide a stable foundation even if the entire baseplate isn't touching the table. I can see it being an issue for a small camera like the RX1.

I am really torn between Spider Black Widow holster and Capture Camera Clip with Micro plate for my RX1

So far pros and cons

Black widow :

• Camera is free to move which may be a good thing such as when sitting down, or may be bad because camera may flip over (so that the lens may fae forward instead of the LCD which I prefer to face forward)and I may need to turn it over when picking up. 
  • the pin protrusing will make the camera unstable when put on flat surfaces
  • May not be well suited for vertical starps , such as using it on a backpack strap, not sure if the lock will be safe enough however I do not see myself needing it on a vertical strap.

Capture:

• Camera does not move around, it will stay there vertically with the grip part on top, best for grabbing it quickly, may be more comfortable since the camer will not touch the hip/leg and slap around but I am not sure if it will be a nuisance when sitting down. etc.
  • Camera wil be more stable with the micro plate thanwith  the widow pin but it will be just barely OK. For users of a tripod it is the best option , I wont be using a tripod frequently.
  • It can be used on vertical straps equally well

Whichever I buy I intend to use it with a light thin neck strap as a precaution to accidental droppings, I want to choose the one which is more comfortable on the hip (not at the side but in front of my hip), and the one which ias easier to grab and put back in place. I did not find anybody who tried both so I am not surewhich will be better. My current impression is 51% black widow, 49% capture

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow