Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
JoeRadza
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
Re: Return policy works fine for Amazom
In reply to David V, Feb 16, 2013

David V wrote:

misterpepper wrote:

If Amazon sells you the X100s for $1300 and ships it to you for free, you try it out without any real intention of buying and, after a couple of weeks ship it back to them on their dime, leaving them with a camera that after the expense of inspecting, cleaning and restocking is only worth around $1000 as a used camera, how is that any different to them than you having just stolen $400+ cash?

This is a ridiculously self righteous load of crap! If Amazon's policy allows for you to buy with confidence, sight unseen, in order to try a product, then they are willing to deal with the logistics and costs associated with that transaction for the greater good of increased overall revenue. No one is stealing cash!

Believe me, companies like Amazon conduct deep analytics on these types of policies and their affect on overall revenue/profit, and if they were not making more, or even losing money due to this policy, it would not exist. Period.

Policies like these create brand loyalty for shoppers. I buy things from Amazon from time to time that I want to try and have no intention of keeping. At times, I get the item and it far surpasses my expectation and I do end up keeping it. In addition, because of their great prices, free two day shipping (I am a Prime member) and their great return policy, they are the first place I check when I am going to buy anything online. That is brand loyalty and they get over ten thousand dollars a year in business from me every year!

You are correct in Amazon analyzing costs etc. But, the next time you want to "try" out a product, don't you think it would be the more ethical approach to rent before buying? Not saying what you're doing is unethical, but until I read a secret Amazon memo saying this is a company policy, you are indeed raising prices. That said, it's hard to figure how widespread the practice of "trying" is.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow