Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 12,492
Like?
Re: Living in the past?
In reply to Hatstand, Feb 16, 2013

Hatstand wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

High iso IQ is indeed very much a requirement for action photography. Almost all my action shootings are done at iso 400, many at iso 1600 to 3200, here is are a few just to give you the idea.

It has not stopped me taking photos of high speed action...

It probably did, because in practice what happens with FZ150 is once ISO hits 1600 ( maybe even 800), it simply is not worthwhile taking them because the IQ would be too low for a keeper. If you dont agree then why dont you show us 5 iso 1600 keepers you got from FZ150?

You're still talking about IQ.

And I have never claimed that my superzoom can match a DSLR's IQ (quite the contrary).

My FZ cameras do not prevent me shooting action. Previous superzooms I owned (eg. Fuji HS10), DID literally stop me shooting action, because they just didn't have enough performance in the areas I mentioned (plus HS10 blacked out EVF/screen when saving to card :-P)

I understand where you're coming from, you're not being too picky and you're satisfied with what you get. That's good. (I think the FZ200 will be significantly better though..:) )

I used to have an FZ50. Okay, it was known for having a noisy sensor past ISO200 and sometimes I used it to take photos of action; the sensor didn't stop me from trying. But I was always disappointed with the results because there are two things that wreck an action photo for me - noise, and motion blur. Unless I can get away from both of those in the shot, I'm not happy with it. Unfortunately with my FZ50 - a wonderful camera in so many ways - the only way to escape the noise was to stay low on ISO and that meant slow shutter and motion blur. Freezing the motion meant high ISO and noise. With the FZ50, LOTS of noise and you can't de-noise that much without killing the details.

Your FZ150 works better for action shots in terms of ISO performance than my FZ50 did, no doubt.

For me high ISO is very important to getting action shots that not only look good on the screen but printed up to 13x19. For you, not so much, and that's fine.

-- hide signature --

You don't TAKE a photo, you MAKE a photo.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow