Curiosity only: If we could print a RAW file, would it look better then a printed JPEG file?

Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HEA-45
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
Curiosity only: If we could print a RAW file, would it look better then a printed JPEG file?
Feb 16, 2013

I am curious about RAW and JPEG file formats. We all know that photographing and post-processing RAW files are considered the best technique. But, in order to obtain a print by an outside source, the RAW file must be converted to a JPEG format. Does this conversion degrade the quality of the electronic image and, consequently, the quality of the printed image?

Note: I love to print my photographs, and I use an outside source. They only accept JPEG format. I have no complaints about the quality of the printed image. I pose the question to satisfy my curiosity...not to solve any specific problem.

HEA-45's gear list:HEA-45's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow