What sharpness setting shooting jpg with X-Pro 1

Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
tee1000
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Re: What sharpness setting shooting jpg with X-Pro 1
In reply to RonJG, Feb 16, 2013

RonJG wrote:

I'm going to give jpg shooting a trial with my X-Pro1 and wondered what the conventional thought might be on in-camera sharpening settings?

Appreciate feedback

R

I made made several test with different in-camera-settings. I like sharpening at -1 and NR at -1. For me it is the best compromise of real sharpness without those unnatural sharpening artefacts most camera jpgs will show (see Canon, Nikon).

If you want a more analog look with real characteristics of your lens-sharpness, turn sharpening to -2. Focus area will still be super sharp with the right lens (like the 35mm), but without any of the too contrasty edge effects.

And as most people already said: It mostly depends on the final size of the image and the way you resize it. Example: If you publish your pics online and for that you resize your original 16MP picture to - lets say 1200 x 800 px in Photoshop with the "bicubic sharper" algorythm, your picture will be sharpened within this resize process quite a lot. So for that example I would definitively recommend in camera sharpening at -1 or -2 in combination with NR -1 to avoid unnatural sharpening contours.

This is just one example and people prefer different looks. So best way to answer your question: Shoot a Raw and export different settings within the camera and finalize your pics on your computer for what you will use them. So you can compare.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow