Noogy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,473Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 6D In-Depth Review posted
In reply to tonywong, Feb 16, 2013

tonywong wrote:

Noogy wrote:

Amadou Diallo wrote:

Also, our gold/silver awards are by design subjective. They are not directly rated to the camera score.

I don't even look at the gold and silver rating. My question is - to this day, the Nikon D600 is a questionable design as they are yet to conclusive prove the dirty sensor defect has been fixed. At Intel for example, we don't launch a new i3, i5, i7 processor until we know it is "manufacturable" and has passed quality checks based on what is acceptable to the end user. D600 is therefore an unfolding saga of possible product packaging defect (by packaging I am referring to the internal architecture of the electronic product), yet you rated it gold? Is your rating not supposed to scope in the fact that hey, this camera is yet to be proven reliable? Next, you take pains explaining you are using a pre-release or pre-launch unit precisely because bugs are expected to surface. How could you not penalize D600 for such fugly bug? At the very least you should have issued a disclaimer "Assuming the D600 does become a reliable camera without the sensor dirt quality issue it is plagued with right now, it is a terrific camera" so that the buyer is forewarned "buy at your own risk." You don't owe it to me. You owe it to yourselves.

Did the 6D get extra points for not having quality defect? No, obviously. Yet it's ok to rate a defective product gold?

Oh yes, subjective is the operative word. Skewed is its more factual equivalent.

-- hide signature --

JCC
"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

I think you've got rose coloured glasses on regarding Intel products. For example this Intel PDF (http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/2nd-gen-core-desktop-specification-update.pdf)lists almost 30 pages of errata (known defects) that affect launched Intel processors. Some are annoyances, some may be show stoppers.

Does that mean Intel products are bad? Far from it. The Nikon D600 is like any other complex product, and it comes with bugs and issues that may annoy or worse. However, calling the dirty sensor issue a questionable design is pretty disingenuous since there is no evidence that it continues indefinitely. Cleaning and wet cleaning a sensor isn't a difficult task, although I agree that Nikon should address it directly for consumers who are affected (giving out free cleaning coupons etc.)

Beyond that minor annoyance the D600 is a very complete package and given Nikon's aggressive pricing recently I can see how the 6D has garnered a silver award.

Whilst there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with the 6D as a photographic tool, the D600 is a better camera in enough areas to deserve a higher award. The lower burst rate and single cross point AF (on 11 points) just seems niggardly of Canon and has given potential buyers pause when they see what Nikon offers.

Lack of onboard flash (flash fill and master/commander modes) and incompatibility with crop lenses (EF-S) is also annoying for people moving up from lower bodies, and Nikon users don't lose either of that functionality moving from DX to FX.

The D600 is undergoing internal packaging redesign because they knew the original release is defective.  If they release a D600s and discontinue the D600 because of its packaging defect, that will be most ironic.

-- hide signature --

JCC
"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow