Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Freneticburn
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?
In reply to Martin.au, Feb 16, 2013

I'm no pro but I have been paid for photography work and would love to do more paid work in the future.  The main reason I use a DSLR is for the performance and even then my camera is a bit outdated in that aspect compared to other DSLRs but still light years ahead of any compact.  Fast autofocus and good low light capabilities are becoming very important to me as I get more into photography.  I'm actually considering moving on up to a 6D or 5D3.  I've had a blast shooting weddings, indoor sports, and concerts and I strongly believe anything less than a proper DSLR just will not do in those situations.

I did buy a pocketable superzoom for those moments where lugging around a DSLR isn't an option and while it works wonderfully in good light it falls flat on its face when presented with any challenging situation.  Aside from the slow AF and smudgy high ISO it also has batteries that die way too quickly.  I haven't dabbled in the m4/3 format because it just does not appeal to me.  The camera either fits in my pocket or it doesn't.  I don't need an inbetween.  I've never been too concerned about the weight of my gear.  I've shot sports tournaments for hours with my canon 70-200 2.8 IS II USM as well as a wedding and it hasn't been an issue.  I can understand people with back problems having an issue but is that really a large enough market to introduce a whole new format for?  Maybe, but it's not my scene I guess.

Freneticburn's gear list:Freneticburn's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow