From the Olympus Website--A little better translation than DPReview

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,788Gear list
Like?
Re: All of this is well and good, however...
In reply to Stacey_K, Feb 16, 2013

Gidday Stacey

Stacey_K wrote:

Doctor Lecter wrote:

and if I buy a new computer right now, there will be a better one released in just six months!

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

But would you buy a new core2Duo computer today from company X when company Y just released an ivy bridge 4 core? That's about how far behind olympus was with their 4/3 models as far as sensor technology. The E5 sensor was 2 year old technology when it was released. If they do this again with the E7....

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Your logic holds good only if Olympus were still locked into that weird contract with Panasonic. It isn't ...

I am certain that you must have noticed that they now have access to the latest Sony sensors. Someone mentioned to me the day before yesterday that Nikon are no longer using Sony sensors ... Something about Toshiba. I don't know any more than that, or even if it's true. One cannot help but wonder if Olympus are "in" and Nikon are "out"??

There are only so many fabrication plants for these things in existence. Sony appear to have been making digital sensor chips for a very long time ... and it seems so far (5 minutes ... ) that Olympus now has unfettered access to these. I guess we shall also see whether that's the case in the fullness of time.

I think that it is more than a little strange (and disingenuous?) how some people are basing the capabilities of any new dSLR camera/s that Olympus might produce on their continuing to use a sensor maker that they have broken their ties with ... How odd ...

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DSLRNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow