Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 3,033
300 f/2.8 II L IS USM brickwall test - kind of

Dear all,

last Saturday I was out shooting (as I will be today too) at a new location - an old slaughterhouse.

Many may ask themselves how good is the all new 300 f/2.8 II in real world situations and how does it perform in architecture and landscape photography?

It is clearly understandable tat such a lens is meant for sports and action photography and maybe a bot of portrait too - but surely not in studios and narrow places. Thus I thought it would be a good idea to post some images including 100% crops to illustrate what you can do with such a lens.

Feedback very welcome

Most of the crops are towards the outer parts of the images since I like and practice the rule of 3rds - makes the image more attractive for me and challenges the lens/camera much more.

Only light adaptions of the tone curve and a bit so contrast and sharpening (my normal workflow in LightRoom for years now)

==> click on "original size" and open your browser window to allow a non scaled view to judge the quality

almost "0" distortion

100 % crop

shot against light with shadows lightened in LR

100 % crop

play with DOF wide open with object near to the border of the frame

100 % crop near the border of the frame

test of color reproduction in dark area of the location

100 % crop in the corner of the frame (FF)

look at the right border - no distortion also near infinity focussing

100 % crop bottom part of the image - the bolts are as sharp as it gets

Hope this helps to judge the current quality level of Canon's new type II tele lenses - if you follow the TDP testing the 400 / 500 and 600 II should even perform slightly better - at incredibly low weight which is btw maybe the most important fact to take a lens with you and not to leave it at home or in the showcase as a collectors edition

All the best from Wiesbaden

Jo

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +14 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow