ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,538Gear list
Like?
300 f/2.8 II L IS USM brickwall test - kind of
Feb 16, 2013

Dear all,

last Saturday I was out shooting (as I will be today too) at a new location - an old slaughterhouse.

Many may ask themselves how good is the all new 300 f/2.8 II in real world situations and how does it perform in architecture and landscape photography?

It is clearly understandable tat such a lens is meant for sports and action photography and maybe a bot of portrait too - but surely not in studios and narrow places. Thus I thought it would be a good idea to post some images including 100% crops to illustrate what you can do with such a lens.

Feedback very welcome

Most of the crops are towards the outer parts of the images since I like and practice the rule of 3rds - makes the image more attractive for me and challenges the lens/camera much more.

Only light adaptions of the tone curve and a bit so contrast and sharpening (my normal workflow in LightRoom for years now)

==> click on "original size" and open your browser window to allow a non scaled view to judge the quality

almost "0" distortion

100 % crop

shot against light with shadows lightened in LR

100 % crop

play with DOF wide open with object near to the border of the frame

100 % crop near the border of the frame

test of color reproduction in dark area of the location

100 % crop in the corner of the frame (FF)

look at the right border - no distortion also near infinity focussing

100 % crop bottom part of the image - the bolts are as sharp as it gets

Hope this helps to judge the current quality level of Canon's new type II tele lenses - if you follow the TDP testing the 400 / 500 and 600 II should even perform slightly better - at incredibly low weight which is btw maybe the most important fact to take a lens with you and not to leave it at home or in the showcase as a collectors edition

All the best from Wiesbaden

Jo

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow