Weather proof NEX?

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,098Gear list
Like?
Re: Weather sealed lenses aren't as critical...
In reply to peevee1, Feb 16, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

I have a Pentax K20d which I routinely would get soaked in the rain along with the non-weather sealed lenses I have. Never caused any problems because lenses are mostly round and smooth and tend to shed water whereas camera bodies have all sorts of bumps and cracks where water can collect and enter the camera more readily (plus the camera has a lot more sensitive electronics than the lens.)

This is true for non-zooms (or rare internal zoom) and internal focusing. To a degree. I guess in m43 world, in addition to the 4 weather-sealed lenses, the excellent metal Oly 12/2, 17/1.8, 75/1.8, and Pana 25/1.4, Pana 45-175 would work in a moderate rain and not suck any dust on OM-D or GH3. Probably Oly 45/1.8 too.

Dust or sand at the beach is actually a more important reason for lens sealing.  As a practical matter it's very difficult (and not that fun) to keep the glass dry on a rainy day or near a water fall. The measures one takes to keep the rain off of the lens also keeps the whole camera dry anyway.

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow