From the Olympus Website--A little better translation than DPReview

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,795Gear list
Like?
Camera companies and profitability and capitalisation
In reply to micronean, Feb 16, 2013

micronean wrote:

Olympus is too small of a company to support 2 lens mounts (Heck, if even Sony can't make a profit in these economic times with their lens systems, what chance could Olympus have?). And even Nikon, as well, seems limited on supporting their APS-C lenses.

It doesn't make sense to divert their cameras and lenses into two camps. Their "drastic reduction" is almost certainly to mean their going to cut something severely, and I would say it's going to be the traditional DSLR design (i.e. the mirror and pentaprism). This is a pretty bold move for Olympus, as their history is longer than Sony's in terms of SLRs (Minolta notwithstanding), and this could very well mean "drastic" in the minds of the very traditionally-oriented Japanese culture. But it may not mean the end of 4/3 cameras or lenses.

The point is that if Olympus is going to survive in the shrinking camera industry they MUST be able to have all lenses work with their cameras going forward.

If you check the figures for each company, you might get a bit of a surprise.

Olympus has less market capitalisation than Nikon by around -30%; but annual sales to March 2012 of only about 10% less sales by value.

Having said that, the financial road travelled by Olympus over the last 5 years has been very rocky, with some massive write downs due to the fraud of the board members. If one adds back these write downs (after all, they are sunk costs) and considers EBIT, the company has actually been profitable at a trading level all through the GFC. So has Nikon, but I like the look of Nikon's overall figures better as they do not reflect the corrupt practices of the previous Olympus board.

So if Nikon can manage to support a number of different lens mounts, I do not see why Olympus cannot do likewise. For Olympus in particular, the costs associated with this are also sunk costs.

Just a few thoughts, FWIW.

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DSLRNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow