Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,238
Like?
Re: Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?
In reply to gdourado, Feb 16, 2013

Yes.  Mostly because for the time being - while my daughter is young and busy and not off at college yet - my most important photography involves capturing action, often in low light, and the tool that gets the job done is an APS-C DSLR with a fast focusing 70-200/2.8.

From ice hockey practices to school plays and talent shows to cheerleading competitions to dance recitals, I'm often at or above ISO 1600, typically wide open at f/2.8 to get shutter speeds I want.  And tracking focus.

Outside of that, I could see myself getting along nicely with a Fuji XE1 kit or something along those lines.

I have a NEX-5 that I don't enjoy much, and am looking to pick up a premium compact (we have a regular jpg-only p&s now) ... LX7 or RX100 or XZ2 most likely.  I miss having a really good compact at times, but the NEX-5 hasn't reduced my DSLR usage and a good p&s will only cut into it a little.  I could replace most of the shooting that doesn't require the 70-200/2.8 with a really good ILC, but I really don't want to work with two systems.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow