ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lewynn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,248
Like?
Water drop question
Feb 16, 2013

Hi all,

I just have a couple questions about water drop pics.  I've tried a few that are rather average.  I just saw a post on 500px about water drop pics.  Most of the stuff I sort of already knew.

I have the Canon 450D and the Canon 430EXII flash.

The post said the the photographer had the exposure set at .05 seconds.  That seems kind of fast doesn't it?  Isn't that one five hundredth of a second?  Or is my camera lingo off?  What would it look like when I set my camera up? 1/500?

It also said that the flash fires at 1/20,000 to 1/30,000th of a second.  Can my 430EXII fire that fast?  What would I need to do to get it to fire that fast?

I was aware that it was best to use the flash to stop the action of the drop.  So, if I wanted to do some decent water drop pics what settings would I have on the camera and flash?  I have a shutter release cable and a remote flash, I'm not sure the remote flash trigger allows the flash to work with ETTL but it will pop the flash when I release the shutter.

Just thought I would stick this here to see if I can get a little help. My son is in a digital photography class in high school so I've been helping him take pictures.  We tried a water drop shot that was pretty blurry with a motion blur but his teacher liked it and said he should enter it in the local art festival.  I would rather have him get a really nice shot that wasn't blurry.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Canon EOS 450D (EOS Rebel XSi / EOS Kiss X2)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow