Questions regarding credit card APR

Started Feb 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
dad_of_four
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,352Gear list
Like?
Re: Questions regarding credit card APR
In reply to truthsforme, Feb 16, 2013

truthsforme wrote:

I have another credit card, which expires in 1 more year, with no balance on it and less available credit than my "main" one with a balance and 20% APR.

I gotta say that 20% is really high. Banks today are borrowing money from the Fed at (or near) 0%, then they are loaning it to you at 20%. They charge that much because a lot of people simply don't pay their CC bill, so the banks are losing money. Call your CC company on Monday, and tell them you want a lower rate.

Next, you need to really see about reducing your expenses. That cup of coffee at Starbucks is only $1 at McDonalds. Plus the $5 you spend at Starbucks becomes $6 because of your 20% APR.

Next, take every spare penny you have, and use it to pay-off that 20% CC. Every payday you should log-on to your CC website and make a payment that you can afford. Now let's say you can only afford to make the minimum payment of $80 a month, and let's say you get paid every other Friday.  Once your paycheck is deposited into your bank (and you should be using direct deposit), log-on and pay $40.  After 2 weeks, you will have made the minimum payment of $80, but your balance will shrink so-much faster!

dad_of_four's gear list:dad_of_four's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D2Xs Nikon D700 Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow