What has happened to Nikon?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,372Gear list
Like?
Really? Is this what it has degenerated into?
In reply to Shotcents, Feb 16, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

And before the fanboys react and attack me I'm venting here! It's a valid set of observations for a group forum to DISCUSS Nikon gear. If your cameras work better than your last, GREAT. I'm seriously glad to hear about it. But, as many of us honest folk will admit, all is not well in Nikon-Land. Let's keep this civil and mature. This is MY view.

Honest folks? You mean that those of us that have a perfectly functioning D800/E or D600 now have to lie about it and say that their's does have some sort of fault in order to appease those that actually do have a fault? Hmmm.

Up until the D800 my life with Nikon was just about perfect. How perfect? Well, I spent 25K or more EASILY on Nikon cameras and lenses, starting with the D70, D50, D80, and then jumping into the D300, D3, D700, multiple bodies and flashes and two kits I was always comfortable using.

Well, my D700 constantly had oils and dust issues, and I needed to get it cleaned 4 times in the 14,000 actuations due to heavy contamination. Perfect? I don't think so. However, It was such a good camera that I just accepted that that was how it was and got it cleaned and went about my business.

Enter the D800. At first things seem okay, but over the months I was less and less secure with the AF. It was CLEARLY less reliable than the D700 in challenging situations. My friends staunchly defended the D800 (and D4), but one by one they ended up with the same feeling. About half of us sent our cameras back.

My D800E far and away outperforms my D700 in the AF department and in every other department and as we are talking about "friends with D800's as well", I have a friend who also has a D800 and we both shoot birds and do general photography and he also thinks the D800 is the best he has ever used. He has had or used D2H's, D700's, D3X's, D4's, D7000 as well.

My 1st D800 suffers from a MILD left AF issue. I'm sure a lot of people wish their issue was as mild as mine because I've seen far worse. My 2nd D800 was terrible. Left and right side were WAY off. I returned it.

My fist D800 did have the left AF issue, but only with the 85mm f1.4G and only at apertures under f2.8 and then only at distances over about 4-5mts. Otherwise it was perfect. As I rarely if ever used the left AF point, I put up with it. After a few months, I decided to send it back to get corrected as I thought that Nikon had by then had a fix for it. After the fix, it only very occassionally mucked up, so little in fact that it never bothered me.

I have now since got a D800E as I wanted the slight extra resolution for my bird photography. This D800E is perfect for AF (and everything else) so much so that I haven't even needed any fine tuning of my lenses!

Through various techniques and generally using ONLY the center AF point along with using the AF-ON focus technique, I get fairly reliable results. Images are wonderful, but I don't have that warm feeling I had with the D700 or D3. Some of my friends, who shoot weddings, have abandoned the D800 completely.

NONE of us will buy another D800.

We only have your word on that.

Enter the D600. I DON'T HAVE ONE. But a lot of my friends jumped. Why not? Lower cost high MP second body! It's a nice dream. But what the heck!? Oil on the sensor? Silly amounts of dust along with it. Wet cleanings every other week?

As I stated before, my copy of the much vaunted D700 had a real issue with oil and dust spots to the point I had to get it cleaned 4 times in 2 years and 14,000 actuations. I would have needed to get it cleaned more often but I resisted hoping that each time it would have exhausted it's supply of oil for recontamination.

And you can go to ANY major forum and hear about folks trying to get these cameras serviced. We're NOT talking about a small group. Cameras go back 2 or 3 times. Some owners are BLAMED by Nikon and charged. What the deuce?!, as Stewie would say!

The one's that have had their camera's sent and refused repair for damage are how many? Can you actuially give us a list, or is this another anecdotal urban myth that there are hundreds of such cases. I have read maybe two on these fora, but that is all.

So where has this left me? I'll think LONG and hard before buying the next DXXX. I'm absolutely terrified to return my D800 for service. Nikon stock is way down, just like their online reputation. It's a great time for photography, but you have to hope for a good camera in the box as never before.

My D800 is the best DSLR I've owned. But it's also been the worst; fussy, inconsistent and slow. It feels like a work-in-progress. Naturally others will jump in and claim their D800 cameras are perfect, better than sex and whatever. But, as someone else pointed out: Somewhere between the fanboys and the disgruntled owners with bad cameras lies the truth.

Why somewhere in between? As I stated, my D800E is perfect in every sense, as is my friends D800. In that regard, my D800E is better QC wise than the much vaunted D700 which I had that had real issues with dust and oil. So, as far as I am concerned it is not: "Somewhere between the fanboys and the disgruntled owners with bad cameras lies the truth." because my camera is not "Somewhere between the fanboys and the disgruntled owners" as mine is perfect. What do you want the owners of perfectly functioning cameras to do? Lie about how good they are just to appease a few that have issues? Also, why does it make those with perfectly functioning D800's and D600's all fanboys when they say that theirs works as it is supposed to, or God forbid, that they rave about how fantastic it is compared to their previous cameras, even the much vaunted (and overly worshipped) D700? Quite a strange outlook on things.

I do agree that there are some with issues, but it is not an epidemic as you are trying to make out. As other's have pointed out, those with issues will more readily complain and they get far more space on these forums than those that ever dare to say how good their camera is are howled down and called fanboys. Quite unbeliveable, really.

What do the people do when they are happy about their D800 or D600? They would like to post photos and share their experiences, but the trouble is, the self appointed forum police, narks and naysayers get upset and say, "This is a gear forum and go post your photos elsewhere". Are we going to get people just posting saying that their D800/D600's are perfect or how great they are? No, of course not, as no one wants to know. Instead, we have a propensity of complaint threads that by default are more prevalent. So, what we have is what appears to be a propensity of these new cameras that have issues, when in actual fact it is just that there is a concentration of an oversupply of complaints in comparison to those that have perfectly functioning cameras.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow