What has happened to Nikon?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ormdig
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 only post, technology marches on...
In reply to Chad Gladstone, Feb 16, 2013

"I have been shooting Nikon a long time and the D800 is the first camera available that allows me to shoot indoor basketball" Chad Gladstone.

My experience exactly. I shoot in small town gyms with horrible lighting and had resorted to using a 50 f/1.8 at 1.8 with a D7000 and was in despair because of either dark images or unnacceptable noise. The D800 coupled with a 70-200 f/2.8 has completely turned things around. I'm getting images that I  like and not just a few but almost everything I shoot is technically good. I weed out images almost soley because of composition etc. and not because of dark, noisy, missed focus criteria.

One other thing I have discovered is that the D800 allows me to use matrix metering with auto ISO and I am getting evenly exposed images across the board no matter which focus point I use. I have always used spot metering, trying to get at least the subject exposed which in poor light results in underexposed images when focussing on white uniforms and blown out backgrounds when focussed on dark uniforms. Matrix metering just plain didn't work in these situations with the D7000, D90. I can set my base ISO at 400 and limit the high at 4000 and it nails it time after time. The added plus with the D800 is ISO4000 doesn't require noise reduction at all unless I want to print 11x14 or larger. Also the colors in cyclical lighting haven't been a problem at high ISOs, another first for me.

I'm glad to hear someone else is experiencing newfound abilities with this camera.

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow