If you're going to use the center AF point only...

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,685Gear list
Like?
Re: If you're going to use the center AF point only...
In reply to Jonathan Brady, Feb 16, 2013

Jonathan Brady wrote:

I've seen several reviews of the 6D in which they talk about using only the center AF point. First off, just how bad are the outer points? And second of all, who uses JUST the center AF point? Do many people ignore basic guidelines of photography (ie, rule of thirds) for the majority of their shots?

IMO, I'd like to have highly sensitive AF points in the middle and at the 4 junctions of the rule of thirds and then a small array of other points that don't necessarily have to be quite as sensitive (if we're talking about a budget conscious camera, anyway). Am I the only one thinking like this?

Listening to a lot of people talking about 6D you would get a feeling that 6D has only one AF point. While not as sensitive as the center AF point outer AF points work pretty well. Take this two examples, DOF was shallow, I didn't want to focus and recompose.

Right outer AF point on a bee, it was windy, flower was not moving constantly.

Left outer AF point focused perfectly on the tip of the nose.

On both occasions focus was fast and precise.

While reviews correctly mention that 6D has only one cross AF point, they usually don't mention that other 8 AF points are very good too and will do the job without a problem except in extreme situations.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow