Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,457Gear list
Like?
Re: What has happened to Nikon?
In reply to RedFox88, Feb 16, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

NONE of us will buy another D800.

"us"? Just who are you speaking on behalf of?

My friends, some of which are pro shooters. I also have a friend who, with his wife, teach a photography class here in NY. The "with his wife" part might clue some as to who he is. He has huge contact with Nikon and the gear, not to mention owning all of the new models. Like me he's found a 100% failure rate; meaning that every single D800 he's held has had an AF calibration issue.

He's "done" as they say. He's cutting his losses and moving to Canon. So are a bit less than a 3rd of my friends. Is that a lot? I think it is because we were all pretty hardcore Nikon fans.

And I'm STILL a fan. My D800 is not a BAD camera, it's just not quite as good with the AF as my D700 was.

My D800 is the best DSLR I've owned. But it's also been the worst; fussy, inconsistent and slow.

Something can't be the best and worst, really now. Average it out and that's what your camera is, which will be in the middle not the best and worst.

When I get the shot with the D800 it's a wonderful camera. Most of the time I do get the shot. But the misses are more common than with any previous body. Still worse, it's very tough to trace the cause of the OOF shots as they can occur under the most simple of conditions that would have never slowed the D700 or D3 down.

And of course we all have the left AF issue to varying degrees.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow