Going on Safari - but which camera XS-1 or Nikon D700?

Started Feb 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
"Gearing Up for Safari" article on DPR (see gear list)
In reply to 2nd degree, Feb 15, 2013

2nd degree wrote:

My initial concerns were over reach. An APS-C would be equivalent to about 500mm though (200x 1.7 TC x crop factor).

Then bring your D80, and D700, and use them situationally.  You won't know how far away subjects will be until you get there.  You could research the exact area you are going, perhaps talk to other photographers online who have taken the same safari that you'll be doing.

The the X-S1 is not a bad idea as it will get you to 720mm.  The Canon XS50 goes to 1200mm and has very good IQ for it's sensor size (including RAW like the X-S1).  I just don't know if you'll need that kind of reach.  The animals on safari are quite large, in general.  It's not like shooting small birds where you do absolutely need over 600mm.

Gearing Up for Safari DPR Article

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8065882473/gearing-up-for-an-african-safari

If I were you, I'd rent a long lens, perhaps even a 300 f4 which works quite well with the 1.4 and 1.7 Nikon TCs.

A small telezoom like the Nikon 70-300 VR is useful, but it doesn't work well with TCs.

The best lenses for TC are the 300 2.8s and 400 2.8.  Renting one would be far less than the price of an X-S1, but they may be more weight than you want to carry.  That is why I suggested looking into a AF-S 300 f4.

By the way, there are tons of articles online about planning for safaris for photographers.  Good luck, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
labe MOD
labe MOD
labe MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow