Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,723
Like?
Re: Do you non professionals still use DSLR's? And why?
In reply to gdourado, Feb 15, 2013

gdourado wrote:

If I was a payed photo professional, doing either event shooting, sports, nature or fashion shoots, a camera with maximum speed, precision and control would be a must. But if you are just an hobbyist or an amateur, do you still feel motivated to haul around a big DSLR with lenses all day?

I was wondering because myself for instance, I really enjoy some pictures I got some time ago with my 20D and 5D, but when I think about the fact that I left the hotel in the morning with a big and heavy camera bag, only to return at night, having a big camera always hanging from either my neck or my shoulder, I wish I had taken something smaller and lighter.

What are your feelings on this matter?

SLR does not give more precision and control compared to mirrorless and large sensor fixed lens cameras. what it gives you is better AF tracking, better battery life and better VF. It is only a matter of time that non-SLRs will catch up in these areas but as of today they have not. And I do not think they will within the next few years.

More importantly though, is that SLR system has better lens line up and value.

Take Sony NEX for example. they use larger sensor and they are small, they have been around for three years now. I was interested in getting one a few month ago but then I looked at their native E mount lenses - they are atrocious. To date sony has not released one lens with top optical quality, most lenses suffer from terrible corner resolution. The reasonable is simple, sony made Flange-back distance too short so that light has to bend too hard to hit sensor. that destroys sharpness.

M43 has better lens line up but their good lenses are very expensive. Also of the two M43 players, one is serious financial trouble and their future is very uncertain (Olympus), the other (Panasonic) uses very old tech in their low to mid line up, only use good sensor in top range expensive bodies (GH serious).

Samsang's lens line up problem is worse than Sony, Fuji's cameras are way too expensive for what they are. X-pro1 is priced at 1399, that is too close to what D600 and 6D cost after you sell their kit lens (6D with 24-102 $2399, D600 with 24-85 $1999 two month ago).

So for me at the least, SLR still represent the best value and best lens selection. the better VF, AF tracking and battery are just icing on the cake.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow