My "upgrade" from 20D to 5D thoughts

Started Feb 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534
Like?
Re: My "upgrade" from 20D to 5D thoughts
In reply to bhollis, Feb 15, 2013

bhollis wrote:

IMO, the primary reasons for moving from a crop sensor camera to full frame are better high ISO performance; shallower depth of field; and wider angle of view for a given focal length lens.

Of these, the only one that impacts image quality is the first--high ISO performance--and how much of a difference you see will depend on which crop sensor you're coming from and which full frame you're moving to. Although I don't have any experience with the 20D and 5D, I expect you will see some improvement IQ wise, particularly at higher ISOs, although probably not a night and day difference. If you had moved to the 6D, I think the difference you'd see--both in resolution and high ISO performance--would be much greater.

DOF may not affect this unmeasurable "image quality" but it can greatly affect the also unmeasurable "impact" of the photo. I would say "impact" is the single most important factor in photography.

You also didn't mention diffraction limits resolution on a crop body at larger (more open) aperture, making stopped down photos suffer sooner.

A rarely mentioned benefit of a crop sensor is the fact that you don't use the least sharp edges of the lens..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow